Dr. Ruth E. Stark
- A.B., Cornell University, 1972
- Ph.D. University of California, San Diego, 1977
RESEARCH AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- City University of New York, Distinguished Professor of Chemistry (9/06- ); The City College (9/07- ); College of Staten Island (9/85-8/07): Full Prof. (1/93-8/06); Assoc. Prof. (9/85-12/92); Member of the CUNY Doctoral Faculties in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biology, and Physics. Director, CUNY Institute for Macromolecular Assemblies (9/03- ); Chair of CCNY Chemistry & Biochemistry Department (7/17-6/20). Molecular biophysics of lipid metabolism; structure and development of protective plant polymers; molecular structure and assembly of fungal melanins; nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy.
- Amherst College, Assistant Professor of Chemistry, 7/79-6/85. Nuclear magnetic resonance and enzymatic studies of bile salt-lecithin aggregates and detergent micelles.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Chemistry, Visiting Scientist, 9/82-8/83. NMR and enzymatic studies of fat digestion, with M.F. Roberts.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, National Magnet Laboratory, Postdoctoral Research Associate, 8/77-7/79. High-resolution NMR of solids, directed by R.G. Griffin.
- University of California, San Diego (UCSD), Research and Teaching Assistant, 9/72-7/77. Nuclear magnetic relaxation and molecular reorientation in liquids, directed by R.L. and R.R. Vold.
- Memberships: American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Chemical Society, American Women in Science, Biophysical Society, American Men and Women of Science
- City of New York: Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Public Service Award
- AAAS: Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- NIH: Research Career Development Award, Postdoctoral Fellowship
- CUNY: Faculty Performance Excellence Awards
- College of Staten Island: Dolphin Award for Scholarly Achievement, Faculty Released-Time Award, Full-Pay Fellowship Award
- Amherst College: Trustee-Faculty Fellowship
- American Cancer Society: Postdoctoral Fellowship (awarded but declined)
- UCSD: IBM Predoctoral Fellowship, graduate student teaching award